Friday, January 31, 2014

Prospects Not Looking All That Great

After the "Snowpocolypse" round two I decided to take a tour of Pungo to see how the launch spots were looking. I know Charlie went out to see how things were looking after the first hard freeze. Things did not look good then and I am afraid they did not look any better today. So, I took my favorite riding buddy...


My Favorite Riding Buddy

...and here are the results of the tour.

First up is the Lotus Garden. As you can see the launch site is hard frozen in. This is not looking too promising.

Lotus Garden Launch

Lotus Garden Launch Closer Look
Lotus Garden Pond

 Then I headed out to Muddy Creek Road. Beggars Bridge was not looking all that much better.

Beggars Bridge Mud Ramp
Next is Nanny Creek. This was the only spot that had open water when Charlie checked. The situation was even worse today.

Nanny Creek Ramp

The Right Side of the Pipe
These poor ducks were doing the best they could to get to open, clear water. They were walking on top of the ice to get where they could swim.

Ducks in Clear Water on the Left Side of the Pipe


Ducks Walking on Ice
The last place I checked was the end of Old Pungo Ferry Bridge Road. What I found was not any better, just a little prettier.  The beach launch site is not looking all that promising. There was ice on the beach and even thicker ice in the water. This is not very kayak friendly to say the least.

The Beach at the end of Old Pungo Ferry Bridge Road
 If you could get out past the ice you might be able to troll for any Stripers that might be still hanging around.
Open Water Near Pungo Ferry Bridge

The Main Channel is Open
However, even if you could get off of the beach and out into the open channel - and had an idea to go to the Oxbow - there is no way you would be catching anything. The Oxbow was completely frozen. 
The Oxbow Across the North Landing River
Looking up the North Landing River at More Ice
 All in all it was a good time spent with Paul. But what this outing told me was that it is going to take quite a few days of warmer temperatures to break up all of the ice that has frozen Pungo waterways. Here is hoping we get that some time soon. If not we will all be heading Charlie's advice and playing in our tackle boxes for a while.

But at least we had a beautiful sunset to end the day on the ride home.

A Beautiful Pungo Sunset

2 comments:

  1. Some really pretty shots. Thanks for saving me the trip. I'm crossing my fingers for next week. Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. However, I was kind of holding out hope for (at least) one day this weekend. Now all of my hopes and dreams are dashed! LOL

    ReplyDelete